On Our Shelves Now
Essential Vietnamese Phrasebook & Dictionary presents the practical language of everyday interactions, conveyed in a way that's clear, concise, accessible and enjoyable. It includes fundamental sentences used when meeting people, starting conversations, and asking and replying to questions, as well as a basic grammar and pronunciation guide to help you start speaking Vietnamese right away. Terms and phrases covering mobile phones, wireless and social media help you make the most of the language. In addition, sentences on the essentials of travel help visitors navigate the basics of arranging accommodations, dining out, dealing with transportation and emergencies and more. Essential Vietnamese Phrasebook & Dictionary includes:
- Over 1,500 essential sentences for everyday use
- A glossary containing over 2,000 terms and expressions
- A handy format for finding the information you need quickly and easily
- Latest Vietnamese vocabulary and phrases for smart phones, social media and more
- Expressions for meeting people, asking and answering simple questions and starting up friendly conversations
- A pronunciation guide and grammar notes explaining the basic sounds and sentence patterns of the language
- New manga illustrations showing key phrases and situations
- Phrases for technology, WiFi, smartphones and social media
- A useful English-Vietnamese dictionary so the right word and phrase is always at your fingertips
- Travel tips, cultural notes and more--allowing you to interact with Vietnamese speakers without making serious blunders
Whether you're a total beginner or have some experience with the language, this is a reference you'll turn to again and again when visiting Vietnam or interacting with Vietnamese speakers.
About the Author
Phan Van Giuong is the author of many Vietnamese language learning materials and editor of several Vietnamese magazines and newspapers. He was awarded the Order of Australia Medal (OAM) and the International Educator of the Year award for his outstanding contributions to teaching language and culture. Professor Phan worked for International Baccalaureate in the United Kingdom for nearly 20 years and is currently the Director of the International Languages Center in Vietnam. Hanh Tran is a lecturer in the Department of South & Southeast Asian Studies at the University of California Berkeley.