Moon Wyoming: With Yellowstone & Grand Teton National Parks: Outdoor Adventures, Glaciers & Hot Springs, Hiking & Skiing (Travel Guide) (Paperback)
On Our Shelves Now
From sweeping plains and stunning national parks to laidback ski towns and down-home dude ranches, experience the best of the West with Moon Wyoming. Inside you'll find:
- Strategic, flexible itineraries for history buffs, wildlife enthusiasts, outdoor adventurers, and more, including focused coverage of Yellowstone National Park, Grand Teton National Park, and Devils Tower
- The top sights and unique experiences: Learn about Wyoming's indigenous cultures at the Plains Indian Museum or enjoy parades and dancing at a traditional powwow. Immerse yourself in the cowboy lifestyle at a rodeo and explore timeless towns where the Old West is alive and well. Peruse trendy Jackson Hole and dig in to locally raised bison burgers and huckleberry pie
- Outdoor activities: Hike through Yellowstone's majestic wilderness, spot bison, elk, bears, or wolves, and marvel at the legendary Old Faithful. Go whitewater rafting or kayaking, soak in hot springs, ride a gondola up to jaw-dropping mountain-top views, or ski the alpine slopes at Snow King
- The best road trips in Wyoming, including a loop through Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks
- Honest advice from former wilderness guide Carter G. Walker on when to go, where to eat, and where to stay, from historic lodges to dude ranches and campsites
- Full-color photos and detailed maps throughout
- Thorough background on the history, weather, wildlife, outdoor recreation, safety, and culture
Focusing on the parks? Try Moon Yellowstone & Grand Teton. Exploring the area? Try Moon Montana.
About Moon Travel Guides: Moon was founded in 1973 to empower independent, active, and conscious travel. We prioritize local businesses, outdoor recreation, and traveling strategically and sustainably. Moon Travel Guides are written by local, expert authors with great stories to tell—and they can't wait to share their favorite places with you.
For more inspiration, follow @moonguides on social media.
About the Author
From the time she was eight years old, Carter G. Walker made annual family trips to a Wyoming dude ranch, where she fell in love with purple mountain majesties and all things equine. After she graduated early from Colgate University in Hamilton, New York, with an English literature degree, Carter landed, sight unseen, in Bozeman, Montana, and made the West her home.
In two decades as a Westerner, Carter has stoked the flames of her love affair by balancing her intellectual need to tell stories with her physical yearning to explore wild places. She has worked as a wilderness guide in Montana and Wyoming; as a naturalist guide in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks; as a wildland and structure firefighter and EMT; and as a publisher, editor, and freelance writer. She teaches writing at Montana State University and writes both fiction and creative nonfiction, and travels the backroads and little-known parts of the West as fodder for magazine features and food for her soul.
Carter lives with her two adventuresome daughters, Sissel and Siri-wild things, both of them, and road warriors-in Bozeman, Montana.
"Moon handbooks are always a pleasure to read. The writing is crisp, the research impressive, and the recommendations practical and down to earth."—Chicago Tribune
“The books are more easily readable than other guides. The main attractions are also marked with a special icon and sidebars and boxes highlight special information, making the Moon handbooks one of the most user-friendly guides in terms of visual appeal and organization…the quality is uniformly excellent."—Transitions Abroad
"Far from narrow minded, each Moon travel guide gives itinerary options for a variety of travelers’ budgets—from frugal to lavish. They make books catering to those who love the outdoors, those who have limited time, those staying exclusively in cities and those who’ve fully committed to living abroad. In all, they have hundreds of titles, ranging Bermuda to Budapest, that’ll teach you to embrace a new culture."—Gear Patrol, “The Best Travel Guidebooks for Every Journey”
"Moon handbooks have become known as well-written and exceptionally informative guides."—The New York Times
"Moon guides are perfect for the relaxed road tripper or outdoor explorer."—No Small Plan
"Moon handbooks are known for cannily combining logistical information with cultural background of a country or state."—Los Angeles Times